Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Prospectus

Morgan Pendleton
English 111
Jackie Kari
October 28, 2008
Prospectus
I will argue that, media’s portrayal of women and teen girls can lead to eating disorders and (mental frustrations→ the contradictory personally portrayal). Before, in the early 1970s, eating disorders were only affecting people as young as 15, now it is affecting people as young as 10. With media portraying women with “perfect” (perfect is in quotes because in reality their bodies are unhealthy) bodies, making young girls (and boys) believe that they must have these perfect bodies causes these eating disorders. An estimated seven million females currently have an eating disorder.
I believe that in order to prevent such traumatic events (any sort of eating disorder), the subject of the portrayal of women in media needs to be brought to people’s attention. This is so that woman can be aware of this information and thus be aware of the lies that the media feeds us.
This paper will address women, specifically between the ages of 13/15-20 (the prime ages of eating disorders) and hopefully will display information to all women and media watchers about the deceitfulness that is given to us. This essay will just be in the form of an academic paper, like any other basic paper but will be placed on my blog. Because most of the people who will be reading this will be reading it off of my blog, I intend to use several other blog sources. Also I will use more credible sources like The New York Times, and other periodicals. I believe that using sources on the internet and providing hyperlinks to the blogs and other sites that I use will help to deliver my message and also include more information that I did not include in my essay.
I have a few things that I would like to include in my paper. One thing I want to include are statistics. I would like to use many different stats like percentage of males and females, mortality rates, etc. I think it will really add solid information to my piece in order to make my argument stronger. Also I want to give examples of medias like TV shows, supermodels, ads, commercials, etc. I want to briefly analyze one or two of them in relation to eating disorders and the frustrations the media puts on women (due to the contradictory personalities a woman “must” have).

Mini Bib. →more to be added
Dana. “Media Portrayal of Women- Body Shape vs. Personality.” [Weblog entry.] Portrayal of Women in the Media Discussed at Health Foods Blog. Health Foods Blog. 18 March 2008. (http://www.healthfoodsblog.com/2008/03/18/portrayal-of-women-in-the-media-discussed-at-health-foods-blog/). 28 Oct 2008.
Meagan. “Media Watchdog Program.” [Weblog entry.] Media Watchdog Program. 22 Oct 2008. (http://distortedperception.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/media-watchdog-program/). 28 Oct 2008.
Kleinberg, Kate. “Who Decided that I wasn't Beautiful?” [Weblog entry.] Kate the Great. 12 Oct 2008. (http://kate-the-great.blogspot.com/2008/10/who-decided-that-i-wasnt-beautiful.html). 28 Oct 2008.
B., Kim. “Media Influence on Eating Disorders.” [Weblog entry.] Gender and Pop Culture. 19 Oct 2008. (http://genderandpopularculture.blogspot.com/2008/10/media-influence-on-eating-disorders.html). 28 Oct 2008
Goleman, Daniel. " Eating Disorder Rates Surprise the Experts." New York Times. 4 Oct. 1995. 28 Oct. 2008 .

No comments: